Exercising in the out-of-doors is significantly different than exercising inside. Planning ahead can make all the difference in your experience.
Now that Spring is finally here, we are headed outside! Some of our rides are going to be longer and it pays to be prepared.
If there is a light rain we will probably continue the workout, although we may change the venue. Heavy rain may cause the work out to be canceled and the decision will be made by the coach, or assistant coach supervising the work out. In the event of lightning the workout will automatically and immediately be terminated. If you are on an outdoor course and sudden lightning occurs, seek shelter immediately. As soon as you are safe communicate with the coach to let them know where you are and that you are safe.
Considerations and guidelines for an outdoor workout.
- Be prepared to get wet. Even in dry conditions there can be sections of trails or tracks that are wet.
- Dress in layers. Layering allows you to remove clothing, or add clothing gradually as your body adjusts to the workout.
- Always be prepared with a hat.
- We will be exposed to sunlight and preparation should include sunscreens.
- Sunglasses are highly recommended.
- Have a plan on how to manage your car keys. In general they should be kept somewhere so you have access to them at all times. Leaving them with a coach or assistant coach adds another level of responsibility to other people.
- Be prepared with water or a hydration drink of your choice.
- In Park venues bathrooms may be available. In trail situations we will not have access to bathrooms.
- If you get separated from the group for any reason, use your telephone to reestablish contact and get appropriate help, if you need it.
- Know there is risk in participating in outdoor activities. Plan and prepare accordingly.
We look forward to a new and exciting area of programming in the out-of-doors.