I just returned from a 10-day road trip on the East Coast. I got home to Greenville, SC just before hurricane Florence is predicted to hit the coast.
Throughout my travels I saw all kinds of evidence of emergency preparation.
It is truly amazing to see how we pull together as a country when we are faced with a challenge. It’s as though the worst of conditions brings out the best in us.
I think about this often. Why is it that it often takes the worst of situations to bring out the best in us? I confess that I don’t have an answer.
But I do know that this situation is an opportunity for us to showcase our genuine care and concern for people.
Not everybody on this distribution list is in the path of the hurricane, but many are. It’s pretty safe to say that everyone on this distribution list will be affected by the story in some way.
Depending on where you are, what can you do to show your care and concerns for the people in your area?
Here are a couple of thoughts. Consider the ones that apply to your unique situation.
- Become a shelter, or volunteer at a shelter.
- Volunteer to help in some way.
- Offer a special workout as a fundraiser.
- Openly promote and welcome evacuees to your facility.
- Send an email or a video to your clients/members offering to help with their unique situation.
- Participate in a blood drive.
- Reach out to another Box, Gym, or Training Studio in the eye of the storm to see what they need.
Whatever you decide, the important thing is to be a solution in a time of need. People don’t care how much you know until they know how much you care.
Remember, you will only get results if you take immediate action on your ideas.
Above all, stay safe.